Friday, February 11, 2011

Firefly craft


In Daisies there is a lesson that has fireflies in it. My leader asked me to plan a craft where they make fireflies. I saw lots of cute projects online using glow sticks. I had an idea though after I saw a craft in Family Fun magazine where they took ping pong balls and electric tea lights and made Halloween decorations out of them. This is what I came up with.
The girls absolutely loved them and could not stop playing with them. Most said they would use them as night lights.



I think these would be adorable for an insect birthday party. For boys use masculine colors!

To make these you need a battery operated tea light and ping pong ball to start. We found our lights and ping pong balls at Dollar Tree very cheap. Use an xacto knife to cut an X in the ping pong ball. Slide the ping pong ball X over the light of the tea light. I used hot glue to make it permanent. I then hot glued two white pom poms to the ball for a head and tail. The girls chose the colors for their bug and we glued them on together for the tail. They glued eyes on and then traced a template of the wings onto foam paper and cut it out. We used glitter glue to decorate, but self adhesive rhinestones would work well too. Sooooo cute!











No comments: