Saturday, September 19, 2009

Mermaids

My example diaorama.

When we started three weeks ago with school, aside from our regular texts and curriculuum I asked my daughter what she would like to learn about. I named some typical school units I had from when I taught like transportation and apples, but I was sure to tell her we could study anything she wanted. She chose Volcanoes. I was a bit skeptical about starting a subject as complex as that for a 5 year old. It was great. I knew from teaching that children will rise to your expectations and so I got books on many levels as well as some DVD's on the subject. She devoured it! It was great fun. So then time rolled around for us to do it all over again and she chose mermaids!!! There were a few fictional books for kids and only two folklore books from tales of mermaids around the world.


I read the folklore stories to her and she loved the different tales and finding where the story came from on the map. We talked about some different mythical creatures and she was very releived to know that giants and monsters are not real.

Her favorite book by far is one called Mermaid Dreams. It is a very cute story and she used it to base her own book on complete with illustrations and writing. Here are a few of my favorite pages:
She got so into the making of books that she also made me a book on fashion (yes she has taken me on as a project) and her brother a book on trucks.
We did an art project using Cray Pas, watercolor, glitter, rhinestones and shells. (She added the title of the book before I noticed.)
We also made mermaid dioramas. Her mermaid is asleep because the mermaid in the book Mermaid Dreams sleeps at the end.
She loved watching Aquamarine the movie.

She also spontaneously made her own mermaid paper dolls and acted out a "puppet" play with them.










Happy mermaid dreams to you!

No comments: