Saturday, March 1, 2008

She ain't pretty, but she's yummy!

Every so often I go through my cupboards and freezer and try to use mixes and food items that have been around for a few months so I don't have to throw them out. Sounds glamorous, doesn't it???

So today I found a box cake mix and some chocolate chips. I blew it off until I was reading a magazine that had a rum cake recipe in it. Don't get excited because this is not a rum cake recipe.

It turned out really delicious, but not so beautiful. I am not a big fan of ooey gooey icing on cakes. This was the perfect blend of rich and sweet.
I made the golden butter box cake that I had and then I followed this recipe from the Jan/Feb 2008 issue of Grit magazine.
Icing:

1/2 cup sugar
1/2 stick margarine
1/4 cup water
1/4 cup sherry, rum, whiskey (I used sherry)

Heat sugar, margarine and water, then add sherry. Mix well. Pour over hot cake in pan. Let stand10 minutes, then remove cake from pan; otherwise it will stick.


I added a generous handful of the semi sweet chocolate chips I had while it was on the stove top. I stirred constantly so the chocolate would not scorch. It was really syrupy. I don't know if it was supposed to be that way, but mine was and I just went with it. It was soooooo good and sooooo moist. Not bad for an afternoon pantry raid!

No comments: