Thursday, February 28, 2008

Are you gold or silver?

When I married I received a lovely salad serving set in pewter as a gift from a friend. I did not have one so it was a great addition to my things. Another friend of mine while looking over the items I received commented that she would be happy to take them off of my hands, "because everybody knows that you are gold." I thought it was a funny comment at the time. Thinking about the comment later I realized that though I had not thought of it before I am more drawn to gold items. I love the patina of vintage and worn gold or gilded things. I love gold frames, gold florentine trays, china with gold patterns, etc. This very realization prompted me to return the china pattern I had registered for because I had "settled" for it loving the design, but not the silver.

I have another friend who has her husband paint everything brown. She wears brown and her home is very neutral in lots of shades of brown. They recently renovated their home and replaced all the fixtures and hardware to the antique bronze that is so trendy today.

Yet another friend has commented that she does not want a brown leather chair in her home because she prefers black furniture over brown. It is evident in her decor. There is not one brown item present.

You are not restricted to just your favorite. That is what makes it all interesting. Mix your favorite in with a little of something else. For example, I have some silver toilletry items in my bathroom sitting on top of a gold florentine tray among gold framed prints and mirrors.

My point being that there is no right or wrong. You need to tap into what your likes and dislikes are before you shop for furniture and set abouts. This way you will not wind up with the wrong color for you.

No comments: