I have not read the book Don't Sweat the Small Stuff, but I think I get the sentiment. When I was single, no kids, I was painstakingly particular about every little thing. I realize now it was partly due to idle hands. It took some time to let it all go, but I had waited so long to marry that I decided to love my man no matter what his faults (Lord knows he does for me). I won't say it is exactly a fault, but tidiness is certainly not his strength either. That said, when I had my first child I tried very hard to be somewhat particular. Now that we have added the twins I just give up! Anyway, when those two little buggers are down for a nap I usually pull out what my 4 year old refers to as "the fun stuff." We paint, craft, cook, play games and various other projects not meant for curious two year olds. Not every project is suitable for a four year old. So she has to sit some out. I try to think up an alternative for her though so she will build confidence and creativity. Here is what we did when I did the drawer knobs the other day. 
She painted a discarded silk leaf green and stamped it onto a tag to be used later as a gift tag. When she could not take it any longer I let her paint the base coat of the drawer knobs until I could not take it any longer. HAHA! Then I sent her to take her rest time. I touched up the knobs and we were all happy.
All I am suggesting is that you figure out maybe one step that would be okay for them to help out with if they are interested. Guide them carefully and see how it goes. Make sure it is a washable project so that if everything goes south you are not disheartened by the whole idea! Good luck!


No comments:
Post a Comment