Saturday, February 2, 2008

My first sewing project


When I was in middle school (ages ago) I took a home economics class. We learned basic cooking techniques, how to budget, and sewing. These are the main things I recall from that course. My mom was in control in the kitchen. So unless it required grating cheese I was not asked or allowed to help. My mom also never sat still long enough to create much. Plus I don’t think creativity is high on her list of priorities. So the fact that I could create something by sewing and nobody was looking over my shoulder became a highlight. Plus it seemed to be rare that people my age showed an interest in sewing, so I liked that it made me different.

I never completely finished the bag that I sewed in class that year. There were only a couple of patterns to choose from and I lost interest in creating that item. I was, however sentimental enough about it to hold on to it for another 25 years. I found it awhile back in the top of a closet with pins still in it and holding some antique frames from my father’s side that need to be restored. It was frayed, stained, and the stitching was terribly crooked and uneven to say the least. There were parts of it where I did not catch the hem right and it was coming unraveled. I still did not put it in the trash and I seriously doubt anyone at Goodwill would put it out on the floor to sell. So I took it to my sewing machine and stitched up what was left. I tried to turn under and hem that had come undone.

It is still crooked, and uneven. But it was my first sewing creation. So it is beautiful to me.


No comments: